Monday, June 8, 2009

Wonderland

I remember when I was telling people I was headed to Iran. There was usually a particular kind of shock displayed on people’s faces. Sort of, “I’m too polite to say anything but are you freaking insane?”

Well, I brushed them off, extolled the virtues of Iranian hospitality and sent them on their way.

Sorry, you were right.

I’ve been trying to keep up with the news here, which is hard, because I can’t read the newspapers (duh) and most of my favourite news sites are blocked. (But they leave news.com.au? The sensor has a sense of humour I see). So I jumped onto abc.net.au, and I’m busy reading about a SUICIDE BOMBING of a Shi’a mosque that occurred last Thursday, followed by the swift EXECUTION of three people responsible.

Ok, I’m cool. That’s fine. The thing that is freaking me out more is that no-one seemed to give a shit. It’s all happening down in the very opposite end of the country, at the junction between Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. But I don’t think that’s the point. Can you imagine if the Baptist Church out in the middle of the Pilbarra blew up? Just because it’s remote doesn’t preclude us from caring.

I won’t mention that there was a home made bomb found and diffused on a domestic flight today, either.

(Sorry if this is busting your bubble of ‘of course she’ll be fine’).

So yesterday, i went to ‘Wonderland’, basically a mini-Marion shopping centre, with the entire top floor being devoted to an arcade similar to Intencity or whatever. I met some new AIESECers, they were all crazy-fun. I also got to know the German interns a bit better too, and that’s great, because they tell you the things the locals take for granted.

I was dropped off to Saman and Hojat in one of the squares. There happened to be a political rally going on. I thought it was pretty exciting. There were people everywhere, even an impromptu street march. The traffic was chaotic, and there was a definite ‘mood for change’ vibe going on. I took some photos, and then we all jumped into a taxi to head home.

We didn’t get far when a car pulled up beside ours. A man stuck something black out the window and indicated for us to pull over. (Yes, my first thought was a gun. It was a walkie-talkie). We were all asked to get out of the taxi. These two burly men in casual clothes started to have a rapid discussion in Farsi with Saman. Then Saman translated to ask if I had taken any photos of the rally, and that I was required to delete them. I did so, very quickly. Once that was done we were sent on our way.
Later, I asked ‘um, were they good people or bad people?’.

*pause*

Apparently they are some kind of politically affiliated, security and intelligence police. Or something. Unmarked car, no uniform, no ID. *insert frustrated swear-words*

I think the thing that is doing my head in the most is that everything seems to be taken in their stride. I, on the other hand, have never been pulled over for taking photos. I’ve never had a suicide bomber in my country. So I just have to play it cool, like it was no worries. Actually, in my head I’m a little...shocked.

BUT (and here’s the obligatory ‘I’m fine’ part)

I’m fine.

Really.

Tehran is still safe, there’s nothing deadly going on here. I should be more worried about crossing the street than an extremist. I’ve decided that I’ve just got to take every day and enjoy it. If something crazy happens, well, there’s really not much to do, is there? I’m loving my life here, and there is honestly VERY VERY VERY LITTLE risk of anything happening.
Love you all.

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment