Monday, June 8, 2009

New home

Huzzah! I’m going to move into my new home tomorrow! I’ve been staying with Hojat, who is one of the loveliest people I know. (But he’s a lawyer? I don’t get it either haha). Living with someone has been great, because I’ve been able to find my feet a bit, but with a safety net.

All the same, I’ve been looking forward to setting up camp. I am so looking forward to unpacking my suitcase and settling in. Tonight, I’m staying in the ‘guest house’, usually reserved for visiting lecturers, because my room is being vacated tonight. I’ll be sharing with three other women.

The dorm set-up is a little like a small community. It’s gated (complete with security). Men are not allowed past said gate. (If it’s necessary for a bloke to come in, ‘Ya’Allah’ (attention/look out) is broadcast across the place, so we know to put hijab on). There are a few little shops, from seamstresses to supermarkets, with laundry and kitchen facilities. There’s also a gym! (Hmm ... now there’s an internal debate). Now, don’t get me wrong – this is not the Hyatt, or Wisteria Lane. It’s kind-of old school, like someone fenced off a few blocks of Elizabeth or something.

Last night was probably the best night I’ve had in Iran so far. Ten of us piled into two cars and went for a massive drive (car party, sans booze). We ended up in this crazy little maze of streets, filled with stalls and shops. The vendors were selling everything from fresh berries to used cars. It was really lovely, but the best was yet to come! We got through the very narrow streets and parked the car. Then we headed into what could be described as a grotto. It was this oasis, built down the side of a hill. Fruit trees, fountains, and daybeds were everywhere. It was just magical. We all sat on one of these daybed-things, all covered in beautiful red Persian rugs. Next thing I know, out comes the tea and SHISHA! There were two pipes, in Sib (apple) and Portogahl (orange) flavours. It was fantastic! We were all chilled out on this red big rug, surrounded by greens and blues, smoking great big water-pipes. It was just fantastic. We kicked back, chilled out and took heaps of photos (of course).

When the coals died down, we headed off, back into the city for dinner. We had Italian (!), sharing pizza and garlic bread. Too soon it was time to head home to sleep.

Of course I’m in the office again now, half working on this update, half proof-reading a document, half Facebooking...

Once I’ve taken some photos of the scenery etc, I will have to put up some posts about Tehran and the upcoming presidential elections.

Until next time,

Khodafez (seeya)

No comments:

Post a Comment