Saturday, July 25, 2009

Synopsis of a weekend in Yazd

Here's a quick one just to let you know I'm still alive.

I spent the most amazing weekend in a town called Yazd, about 10 hours away by bus. (Would you go to Melbourne by bus for the weekend?)

The list of things we did is incredible - we slept for about 6 hours the entire weekend.

The briefest of highlights include:

-Wandering through a city, thousands of years old, mansions made of mud bricks

-Climbing a mountain with a Zoroastrian Towers of Silence atop them - where the Zoroasters used to leave their dead to be eaten by vultures

-Watching the sunrise over a desert, seeing camels in the distance, climbing and falling up sandhills, meeting my first Scarab (dung beetle)

-climbing the Shaking Minaret of another ancient mud brick city and getting stuck

-visiting the Zoroastrian equivalent of Mecca and being questioned by Muslims to ensure we weren't there to convert

-seeing carpets that are older than Australia as we know it

~~

As I said - I'll give you the run down properly soon. Now, it's 2.45am and I am catching up on all the work that I should have done on the weekend.

Thanks to the dear Dutchies Floor and Renee, and dear Sepehr for the wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment