Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Adventure time!

It's a lovely Wednesday morning here in Tehran. After being obscured by cloud for the last few days, the mountains showed themselves this morning. The sunlight gleams off the snow, which creeps lower and lower down the peaks every day.

enough of that :)

Today is Wednesday. There will be a Thursday, a Friday, a Saturday and a Sunday in pretty quick succession. Then, after all of those days, Monday will come. And Monday is the day that I'm jumping on a bus for a 48 hour journey to Istanbul, Turkey.

I will have a wonderful 6 hours or so in Istanbul (any recommendations for a walking tour starting at the bus-station and ending at the airport?), then a quick one hour flight to Antalya, on the coast. Gosh gosh gosh. Here, let me show you the place I'll be staying:

www.prestigehotel.com.tr

Ok, so I'm really excited. And nervous. But mostly excited.

Things that I predict will be weird:

  • Not wearing a headscarf in public after 6 months of doing so
  • Being allowed to drink alcohol in public (it'll probably even have brandnames!)
  • Being in a room with 700 other people
  • Wandering around a foreign city, knowing no-one, not speaking the language. Who 'drops in' to Istanbul exactly?!
  • Being able to dance roll calls and hug a man in public
  • Seeing the sea after 6 months
  • Walking into a room where I know, literally, no-one

Things that I predict will be awesome:

  • see above.

Woo hoo! Bring on an in-time visa, snacks, and patience. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment